- Review the NBPA Agent Certification FAQs
- Answer all questions on the agent application completely (link to the application below)
- Copy of highest diploma received or transcripts in PDF format
- Payment in a total of $1,500.00 USD which includes a non-refundable application fee of $250.00 and refundable prorated dues of $1,250.00 for the remainder of the current season in session
- Please note that you will be required to complete payment before you can submit your application. International Applicants will need to complete the payment via wire transfer prior to submitting their application. For more information, please refer to the NBPA Agent Certification FAQs
- Completed and signed consent and release form
- Authorization of background investigation
- Two forms of Government issued Photo ID
- Completed W9 or W-8BEN form (in order to process initial payments, refunds if applicable, and annual Agent dues once Certified)
- Download and print a PDF version of the NBPA Regulations Governing Player Agents
- Download and print a PDF version of the 2017 CBA
- The examination will cover the 2017 NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement and the 2019 National Basketball Players Association Rules and Regulations Governing Player Agents. The exam consists of 50 multiple-choice questions which you will have a time limit of three (3) hours to complete. Materials for the exam may be accessed by clicking on the links above. It is recommended that you print both the 2017 CBA and Agent Regulations. Please be advised that these materials are not available for public distribution and will not provided by the NBPA. The exam is open book. Prepared, printed or hand-written notes are also permitted during the examination.
- The examination is offered once a year in January at our Headquarters in NYC.
- An optional review session will be offered the day prior to the exam. Please note that the review session is not a preparation course but rather an overview of the studied materials and an opportunity for applicants to ask questions and gain further clarification if needed.
- Approved applicants will be assigned a review and exam session. Both sessions will take place at the NBPA Headquarters in New York City.
- A study index for the CBA as well as sample questions are available on the NBPA Agent Certification FAQs.
Continued compliance with the Regulations is required in order to maintain your certiﬁcation. Compliance includes but is not limited to:
- Successfully passing the exam
- Remitting required dues payment on or before July 1 of each and every year
- Providing updated contact information
- Negotiating and executing at least one Player contract within a five-year period
- Attending an NBPA Agent Seminar for your first three years of Certification. Agents are eligible to opt-out of the seminar on their fourth year, and every other year thereafter. Please be advised that attendance to another NBPA or NBA event will not be accepted as a substitution for your required attendance to the NBPA Agent Seminar.
ANNUAL DUES AND HOW THEY ARE CALCULATED
After an agent’s initial 6-months of certification, agent dues are applied on a per season basis (July 1–June 30) and are calculated based on the number of players an NBPA Certified Agent represented from the previous season:
- For Agents with 0-9 players: $2,500.00
- For Agents with 10-19 players: $5,000.00
- For Agents with 20 players or more: $7,500.00